SUBSCRIBE BELOW TO GET POSTS BY EMAIL

Enter your email address:

Friday, March 15, 2013

Getting Up REAL Early

It's Monday morning and I'm not planning to post this til the end of the week at least, so I hope it's still relevant by then. PS I just had to type relevant three times before I got it right. More coffee please. 

I love getting up real early.

I don't love the getting out of bed part, or the dragging myself to the kitchen and making coffee part, or the warm-up routine part of Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred.

But I love everything that comes after that.

It's 7:22 and I am worked out, quieted down, showered up and caffineated.

At least today Daylight Savings Time has something to do with this as well. My kids would normally be up already, but they have been tricked by the sun into an extra few minutes of sleep it appears. Hallelujah.

Back in 2011 I posted about this getting up early thing and I fear I left little room for grace. There are so many times in a mom's life when getting up before the kids is just not happening. Off the top of my head: when you're pregnant, when you're nursing all night, when your kids are sick, when your kids are teething, when you are sick, etc. And to working moms who are due at the office at ungodly hours - please don't take this as one more guilt-trip - I'd be sleeping 'til the last second too.

But right now, none of those situations apply to me. And they haven't for a while. My usual routine involves setting my alarm for 6am and managing to get out of bed and to the kitchen by 6:15. That gives me 30-40 minutes (on a good day) to have a quiet time (prayer/Bible reading and reflection) before the first toddler toes come pounding down the hallway.

Today I got up with B Daddy at 5am so I could get in a work-out (I won't have a chance to get to the YMCA today and I'm doing the #5lbs5wks thing) and shower in addition to the usual. And crazily enough, I LOVED it. I joined him this early one morning last week and it too was heavenly. Update: I actually got up at 5:30 today (Friday) out of desire, no working out involved. Does that sound like crazy talk or are you with me?? If I get up at 5am, that gives me around TWO HOURS to myself before I'm expected to pour milk, change a diaper or entertain toddler questions. TWO HOURS. That's like - ridiculously indulgent.

Getting up this early means I can drink an entire cup of coffee while it's still hot. Coffee is very important to me. It also gives me a chance to think straight about what I want/need to do that day and prioritize my daily to-dos. Getting up around 6am really only allows me to get in my quiet time (my absolute minimum requirement for surviving 24 hours with a 3yr old, 2yr old and almost 1yr old) and even that is a bit rushed if I snooze til 6:15.

It's highly likely that other people don't need this much prep time to handle their days. I like to think that I am in the toughest stage of life I have ever faced right now. For example...

Things I like: doing things on my own schedule, control, in-depth adult conversation, order, gourmet food.

Things my day is full of: little people watching me shower, finding Legoes in the pantry, questions like, "Why does Ben have so many boogers?", multiple children crying at once, peanut butter & jelly

To me, going to bed earlier is completely worth the gained hour of almost guaranteed peace and quiet. I'm thinking of making the 5am wake up an at least once-a-week thing. Anyone with me or am I just a complete control freak?

8 comments:

  1. We can be control freaks together. Ben's alarm goes off at 5:45 every day and 4/5 of the week I am out of the room well before it goes off. I must run (ie: be alone with Rachael Ray) before anyone is up. I then have a shower in peace (the last moment of peace for the following X-number of hours) and get ready ALONE. After that all bets are off and the little people invade. Take that run/get ready time away from me and it's bad.

    I like to say that I am a morning person - as long as no one else is up or talking to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your definition of morning person! I have to agree.

      Delete
  2. My dream day starts at 5:30am and is followed by a good run, a shower, and some Bible/journal time. I am then ready to face the day with my mind and body set! (How frequently has this happened, you ask? Um........)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm definitely one that gets up before the rest of the house. I have my quiet time and workout before my little one gets up, then he snuggles with daddy while I shower and my sweet husband feeds him breakfast while I get dressed (one of many perks of a husband that works from home!). I certainly don't like getting out of bed, but once I'm up I love to start my day alone :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both - starting a day out alone is lovely.

      Delete
  4. I love to sleep in and stay up late, always have, so I doubt if I will change now. However I probably should at least try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lately I've been a late riser and wait until the last possible minute to get out of bed, but I'm going to blame that on being pregnant. Today though, for some reason (perhaps after reading your blog on Friday???) I was awake at 5:45 just staring at the ceiling and popped out of bed when my alarm went off at 6am. I got a workout in, did a 15 minute meditation and made my green smoothie all before it was time to wake the little one up for "school". I must admit I LOVED getting so much accomplished before the day "began"! We'll see how long this lasts....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love it! Don't you just feel like you're going to have a good day when you start it like that??

      Delete

 
site design by designer blogs