SUBSCRIBE BELOW TO GET POSTS BY EMAIL

Enter your email address:

Monday, August 23, 2010

Eggciting News

Just an ordinary Monday.

I headed out this morning to tend to our girls - filling up their water and feeding them as usual. And I have to admit, I was more perturbed than usual by the task today.

Everyone and their mother has asked me over the past week how the chickens are doing. "Fine," I would lie. "No eggs yet!" I would say with a sarcastic smile and an eye roll added for good measure. Yesterday I unloaded on someone, "LAZY. They are good-for-nothing, lazy free-loading birds and they don't even make us laugh like Big Brown."

Today I take it back. I take it all back and beg forgiveness from my beautiful little chickens who worked so hard to give me the surprise of my life this morning. When I set their water back into the run, I peeked my head inside the coop, honestly thinking, "why do I even look anymore?" when I saw them...EGGS!

"EGGS!!" I squealed!! I looked around for someone else to squeal with and on seeing no one (imagine that) I ran and got my camera.

Hello beautiful petite speckled brown eggs.

Not just one of you, but two.

I documented the occasion quite thoroughly and then texted B Daddy with the news. You would have thought the Squirt just peed in the potty without any instruction. We are both so proud and in such disbelief.

And of course now I have a dilemma - what does one make with the first two eggs their very own backyard chickens have gifted them with?

My first thought was to poach them. It seems like a very respectful and elegant way to prepare an egg. Then I remembered I don't know how to poach an egg. But I refuse to make anything that would be less than honoring to our girls and these gorgeous little eggs. B Daddy is not getting a breakfast burrito where the egginess is obscured by cheddar cheese and sausage. I want something pure and simple.

Any thoughts!? I'll let you know what we end up doing with them. B Daddy is actually excited about the thought of eating one.



6 comments:

  1. Haha... RECANT! That's so great guys! Home grown eggs, indeed. While poached eggs WOULD be delish, might I offer a simple suggestion? I happen to love the simplicity (and yet genius) that is the hard boiled egg. You can't get any purer. Delectable. Hearty. What more can you ask for??

    Just a thought. :)

    Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea!!! I am excited with you. Too bad I wasn't there to squeal with you - you know I would have! I think any way you fix those 2 initial eggs would be great - boiled, scrambled or fried. Hey you blogger you, I know someone out there in blog-land knows how to poach an egg!! Check it out - soon you will have eggs galore to fix any and every way imaginable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea!!!! Maybe they heard you calling them free-loaders and they decided to chicken up and lay some eggs. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will start saving egg cartons again :)
    How about prefectly boiled and sliced on top of spinach salad? That way you would see the beauty of the white and yellow...can't believe B is willing to eat one. Must document that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. don't know what you should make but something definitely where you enjoy them alone: ie: not in baking/cooking, etc.
    CONGRATS so excited for you...wishing i had chickens in my yard too so will live vicariously through you my beautiful friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I say go all out and make flan!! It would be something different and fancy enough to serve as a celebration!

    ReplyDelete

 
site design by designer blogs